Monday, September 27, 2010

Why do people teach?

Teachers chose this profession for so many different reasons. Some do it for themselves, some do it for the students, and others, myself included, choose it for a mix of the two! I think it is important for those of us who are pursuing a career as an educator to look within ourselves and figure out the reasons we would like to teach.


Melissa Kelly has composed a list of the top ten reasons to teach. The first and second reasons are about student potential and success - every year you are faced with a new group of students who you hope to see succeed.  The third reason is that what you are teaching about, you simultaneously are learning about. The fourth reason is that if you open yourself up to it, you will always fit a laugh into each and every day, often with your students. Number five is molding the futures of the students.  Six is about retaining your youth. The seventh reason is based on "autonomy" - the teachers have complete control over what will be discussed in the classroom that day. Next is being able to spend more time with your family.  After that is the fact that teachers are often in high demand and you really can teach almost anywhere. Lastly, teachers have their summers off.
http://712educators.about.com/od/teacherresources/tp/teachergood.htm

I really enjoyed this next article I came across by Elaina Aguilar.  She asks other teachers to discuss why they teach so that she may make connections with them.  She also shares her own reasons.  This paragraph especially spoke to me:


I teach because, for me, it's the most effective and most enjoyable way to change the world. That's the bottom line: We need to change this world, and this is the way I'm choosing to do it. Teaching allows me to work on hearts and minds, to guide people in becoming empowered, literate, engaged, creative, liberated human beings who want to join in this effort to change the world.


I agree most with the last sentence, and that is the sort of teacher I'd like to be.  One of my main reasons I have wanted to teach is due to literacy.  Being proficiently literate is so important, and I consider it to be one of the core skills students need.  I was lucky enough to never struggle with reading and writing, but so many students do, and I would like to be the one to help them overcome this struggle so that they may succeed in everything they do.
http://www.edutopia.org/reasons-teaching



(http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/11/16-22/teacher.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment