Monday, October 4, 2010

Bullying

How can we better control bullying?

Bullying is a serious problem that started ages ago, but until recently was brushed under the rug.  Unfortunately, it took several children taking their lives for the issue to be brought to our attention.  Even more unfortunately, the bullying continues. It is infuriating! So how do we stop it? Can we ever abolish it completely? 
If you think back to your childhood, I'm sure you can remember seeing a classmate being bullied, or perhaps you were bullied yourself.  Whether through words or physical actions, it is an awful feeling and can completely shatter a child's confidence and self esteem.  The worst part is, many teachers witness bullying going on in their classrooms and do nothing about it.  This has to stop; we must intervene.  However, we need to learn the signs and what to do in such situations.  "Stop Bullying Now" has posted some helpful tips in preventing and resolving bullying.  There have been far too many child suicides due to bullying, including Carl Walker-Hoover (11), Phoebe Prince (15), and even a college student,Tyler Clementi (18).  You can read about their stories in the following links:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/10/04/bullying.special.explainer/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/04/eveningnews/main6363045.shtml

It is so saddening and even sickening to think that these things are happening because of how mean some children can be.  I wish bullying could be abolished altogether, but I honestly do not think it is possible.  No matter what, we have to get it under control. No child, or adult for that matter, deserves to feel bad about themselves; no child or adult has the right to make another feel that way. When the issue is brought to an administrator's attention, he/she needs to take it seriously and not just brush it off.  Once I'm officially in the classroom and dealing with these issues firsthand, I just imagine I'll feel helpless in these situations.  How can we fix this problem?




(found here)

1 comment:

  1. i also just found this really great website which could be helpful for children: http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids/

    ReplyDelete