What is pragmatism and how is it important?
Pragmatism "defines the truth and meaning of ideas according to their physical consequences and practical value" (McNergney and McNergney, pg. 126). The goal of pragmatism is to "develop and apply knowledge and skills for life in a progressive democratic society." The role of the students is to actively learn and participate in class. The role of the teachers is to "teach inductive and deductive reasoning, the scientific method, and the powers of observation and practice." The teaching methods include "hands-on curricula, group work, and experimentation." The students study subjects with an "emphasis on citizenship, knowledge, and kills applicable to daily life, and career or job preparation" (McNergney and McNergney, pg. 124).
John Dewey is said to be the "Father of Pragmatism." He was a strong believer in education and said "Education is not preparation for life: Education is life itself." Based on what pragmatics is, I can definitely agree with the statement. Without education, we would not get very far in life. It teaches us the things we need to be successful. However, students must learn things through hands-on experiences. Dewey observed students in schools simply listening and memorizing. He thought of how they learned to do every day things, like chores, and realized they not only watched others do them, but practiced doing them physically as well. He thought the same process should be applied in the classroom.
I chose this theory because I truly believe in it. I am a hands on learner myself and wished I had more hands on experiences. I think I would be a lot better off today if I had. I also really think it's important for children at a young age to get used to speaking their opinions and not being afraid to share their ideas as this will come up a lot for the rest of their lives, especially in their careers. This is another lesson I wish was stressed to me when I was younger as I find it difficult sometimes to speak my mind, especially in a large a crowd. This theory really helps students learn valuable skills that will help them to succeed in their futures.
(http://www.earthforce.org/files/1163_image2_Invert_lab.jpg)
References:
http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3424

No comments:
Post a Comment